Apple Support Warns Against Skin Contact

There should be a barrier between your child/pet/skin/furniture and the end of a charger that remains plugged in to its power source. Plain and simple. Extreme conditions need not exist for injury to occur, and no parent wants to subject their child to the possibility of trauma that can result if they place the charger in their mouth.

Current Safety Standards are Not Enough

Though iPhone brand chargers comply with secondary safety features that lower the risk of injury, Apple’s Support page maintains that “charging when moisture is present, can cause fire, electric shock, injury, or damage to iPhone or other property”… They also state that the user should “avoid prolonged skin contact with the charging cable and connector when the charging cable is connected to a power source because it may cause discomfort or injury. Sleeping or sitting on the charging cable or connector should be avoided.”

With even the highest standards and most compliant charger, there should absolutely be a barrier between the connector lead and an individual’s skin, and moreover a child’s mouth (a moist environment).

While it is stated that “iPhone and its USB power adapter comply with applicable surface temperature standards and limits defined by the International Standard for Safety of Information Technology Equipment (IEC 60950-1) […] even within these limits, sustained contact with warm surfaces for long periods of time may cause discomfort or injury. Use common sense to avoid situations where your skin is in contact with a device, its power adapter, or a wireless charger when it’s operating or connected to a power source for long periods of time. For example, don’t sleep on a device, power adapter, or wireless charger, or place them under a blanket, pillow, or your body, when it’s connected to a power source.”

iPhone user guide

Apple Support


Contact us today to learn more about how you can protect your child from electrical shocks.

Sign up for our newsletter!