Electrocution Burn, Flying Across the Room and Cardiac Arrhythmia – Cover Your Charger!

While our focus at Geddy’s Mom is on the trauma to a toddler, in our studies the breadth of potential injury to any individual who comes in contact with the active charger lead became abundantly clear. Unsuspecting owners may in fact have counterfeit charger brands plugged into their live outlets. They are not under the same safety scrutiny nor certification, and as a result, might lack appropriate safety insulation, spacing considerations, and therefore that unsuspecting owner had plugged into his/her wall an item that poses a significant risk. As you will read in this article, the simple act of falling asleep and rolling over onto the free end of a charger (the connector lead) can cause lifelong disfiguration or death. We simply can’t know what the inside of our chargers look like, we can’t predict a faulty product or a power surge, and if we don’t have the time and consideration to unplug it, please consider creating a barrier between the risk and the vulnerable by snapping on a WATCH YOUR MOUTH.

Off-Brand Charger Safety Investigations

Several companies that investigated off-brand chargers concluded that “the majority of the generic chargers fail basic safety testing, making them a higher risk for electrical injury,” the report says.

One such analysis of 400 generic smartphone chargers found that 99 percent of them were unsafe, with 22 of the chargers causing serious damage during the testing process.

Injuries caused by these chargers includes burns and electrocution. In one case study, a patient was propelled from his bed by an “electric current.”

In another, a 19-year-old was lying in bed with her charger plugged in. When the device came into contact with her chain necklace “she felt a sudden burning sensation and severe pain around her neck,” researchers report.

The jolt resulted in second-degree burns and dead tissue that had to be surgically removed from her wound. She was left with a permanent scar wrapping around the front of her neck.

Children have a Higher Risk of Electrical Burns

“Teens and adolescents are particularly at risk of injury due to their frequent mobile device use,” says lead study author Dr. Carissa Bunke, a pediatric resident at University of Michigan C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital.

The takeaway: don’t sleep with phones or mobile devices charging in bed and avoid leaving the charger plugged in when it is not connected to a phone.

“Even with a low-voltage device, if the current is high, then the electric shock can be severe,” Bunke says.

Severe cases could involve extensive tissue damage or deep burns that require skin grafts, the researchers find. Complications from these types of injuries include muscle breakdown, trouble breathing and irregular heart rhythm.

Contact us today to learn more about how you can protect your child from electrical shocks.

Sign up for our newsletter!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.